This project encompasses two intersections along SR 24 in Sussex County. It involves adding safety and operational improvements at the intersections of SR 24 at SR 5 / SR 23 and SR 24 at Plaza Drive. Walking and bicycling improvements will be also be implemented.
The project location is identified as a high crash location as part of the Delaware Department of Transportation (DelDOT) Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP). Recommendations were made from the SR 24, SR 30 to Love Creek Traffic Study performed in November 2010. The study determined the need for operational improvements to address safety deficiencies and to accommodate future traffic volumes. The study also determined the need for channelization islands at several entrances to address safety concerns.
The proposed improvements include:
- Build islands at several entrances to restrict certain turns.
- Construct sidewalk connections to fill in gaps.
- Installation of bicycle lanes.
- Relocate the entrance of the Timber Acres community to align with the adjacent traffic signal at Plaza Drive.
- Provide consistent lanes, shoulders and curbs along SR 24.
- Extend the SR 24 left-turn lanes onto SR 5 and SR 23.
- Extend the SR 23 left-turn lane onto westbound SR 24.
- Reconstruct the traffic signals at SR 24 at SR 5/SR 23 and SR 24 at Plaza Drive.
A public workshop will be held at the Long Neck United Methodist Church on October 5, 2016.
- Final design will be complete by Fall 2018
- Construction is anticipated to begin in 2019
The project is currently in the design phase.
- Anticipated Start of Construction – Fall 2019
- Anticipated End of Construction – TBD
Reviewed and Updated on 02/27/2017