Date: April 24, 2003
Time: 8:00 AM
Location: Blue Ball Construction Field Office
Re: Construction Working Group (Meeting Minutes)
|Mr. Jim Bayard, Jr.||Deerhurst|
|Ms. Margaret Bramble||Deerhurst|
|Mr. Daniel Bockover||CCOBH|
|Mr. Charles King||CCOBH|
|Mr. Donald Criscuolo||Alapocas II Maint. Org.|
|Mr. Scott Keefer||DMJM-Harris|
|Mr. Bill Tansey||NCC Council|
|Mr. Robert King||DelDOT|
|Mr. William Stewart||DelDOT|
|Mr. Harry Gamble||McCormick Taylor|
Meeting was called to order at 9:00 am and no additions or revisions made to the minutes of March 27th.
There was discussion on whether the email addresses were correct with McCormick Taylor on the automatic address file for members. A few members reported as to not receiving the emailed minutes and the sign-in sheet reflected the correct address. Bob King will ask McCormick Taylor to double-check their addresses with the meeting sign-in sheet.
Peg Bramble and Bill Stewart discussed the "Standards and Guidelines for Traffic Controls for Street and Highway Construction, Maintenance, Utility, and Incident Management Operations - Part VI" September 1988 and the "DelDOT Traffic Controls for Street and Highway Construction, Maintenance Utility and Emergency Operations" February 2000. Emphasis was given to the placement of sign guidelines, both permanent and temporary.
Bill Stewart reported:
The following construction activities are occurring:
- Embankment work on Relocated Rockland Road is complete.
- Excavation for Stormwater Management Ponds No. 1 and No. 2 is ongoing.
- Grading and the placement of stone base along the bike path is ongoing.
- Demolition of the Kehtron Computer building, adjacent to Independence Mall, is complete.
- Installation of the conduit work along the utility corridor is complete. Verizon, Comcast, Cavalier, Level (3) Communications and DelTRAC will begin installation of their cables next month.
- Installation of the new City of Wilmington water main along the utility corridor is complete. Mumford & Miller will be charging and testing this line next month.
- Installation of the new Conectiv gas main along the utility corridor is nearing completion.
- Installation of the underground Conectiv electric lines along the corridor is ongoing.
- Installation of the aerial Conectiv poles on the north end of the project is ongoing.
Upcoming construction activity will include:
- Grade and place stone base on Temporary Road from the south end of the project to existing Rockland Road.
- Final grading on the berm adjacent to Alapocas II.
- Final grading of the Wetland Mitigation Site.
- Final grading of Stormwater Management Pond No. 3.
- Landscape the final grading areas.
Jim Bayard expressed concerns about the City of Wilmington water pressure and Bill Stewart explained it was not an issue concerning the city's water pressure but rather the diameter of the water pipes feeding the Alapocas community.
Landscaping construction will begin next week and will take approximately 2-4 months for the spring plantings. There will also be another landscaping project during the fall that will extend beyond the Phase 1 contract period. It is expected that the fall project will continue throughout late fall 2003.
Members of the committee were reassured that the faces of the new bridges to be constructed under Route 202 will be of natural stone facing with no artistic expression. A follow-up question regarding the public art process at the Dairy Barn site was referred to DNREC.
Demolition of the Weldin-Husbands house is expected in about 3-4 months.
Connector "D" is in the final stages of negotiation for contract.
Blasting is expected to have been completed. However due to the nature of the topography, there might be a few unexpected outcroppings that may require blasting.
Concerns of possible dust problems were expressed due to the return of warmer and drier weather. It was explained that DelDOT will ensure that the water trucks would be on site and moist the soil as needed.
There was a request by one member present to include in the minutes that the times of the meeting were changed at the request of , and to facilitate the participation of, Legislative members, however only one elected official was present at this meeting and two at the last (both of whom were regular participants when the meetings were held at the previous time).
A short presentation about the Alapocas Run Stream Restoration was given by William Stewart (DelDOT) and Scott Keefer (DMJM-Harris).
Being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:55 with the next meeting scheduled to be held on Thursday morning at 9:00 am, May 29th.