Skip to Content Skip to Navigation logo

Delaware Department of Transportation

Snow Removal Reimbursement Program

Snow Plow Truck

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. How do I know if my development qualifies?
A: Contact the SRRP at (302)760-2085. The SRRP maintains a listing of all approved suburban developments. Only civic associations with State Maintained streets are eligible to participate in the program.
Q. How do I apply for the program?
A: Print out and complete the Snow Removal Reimbursement Program Application Form from at and mail to the address indicated on the form. The Division of Accounting requires the registration for a Supplier ID and a W9 to be completed on their on their web page
Q. Do I have to register each year?
A: No, but associations are asked to sign and return the data sheet enclosed in the annual informational packet stating that the information listed is correct and they do wish to continue to participate in the program. A self addressed envelope is included in the informational packet for this purpose.
Q. How do I notify DelDOT about changes to my association information?
A: Any change in association information should be noted on the data sheet enclosed in the annual informational packet. You may notify DelDOT of association changes that occur after submission of the data sheet by completing a change form (link at the bottom of web page) and mailing to the address indicated on the form or email the information to
Q. What if my civic association does not have check writing capability?
A: We will accept copies of bank statements in the name of your civic association or maintenance organization. The intent of this is to ensure that proof of payment by the civic association can be substantiated. No reimbursements will be made based on payments from personal checking accounts.
Q. What if my development needs the DelDOT reimbursement in order to pay the bill?
A: If your community has a cash flow problem DelDOT will accept a notarized "Good Faith Statement" in lieu of providing a cleared check. This statement is provided at the bottom of the billing form (link at the bottom of the web page). The statement must be signed and notarized.
Q. How does DelDOT determine the reimbursement rates for different developments?
A: DelDOT will reimburse based on 5 storm categories, the 1st category beginning with pavement snow accumulation of 4" to 8". The formula is based on a mobilization fee + mileage rate + cul de sac/dead end rate. These rates are explained in detail in the informational letter mailed to enrolled associations in the fall.
Q. How does DelDOT determine the calculated cap?
A: The formula is based on the actual cost of the entire population of snow bills received from the previous year, the very high and very low values are eliminated so they do not distort the calculation. Typically allowances are added in for inflation such as fuel.
Q. Who measures the snow storms and where?
A: The University of Delaware maintains twenty-six weather stations statewide equipped with automated snow sensors which will be used for the official snowfall measurement. Accumulation totals are updated hourly on this website. Each association's snow zone is noted on their annual informational letter.

Reimbursement for snow zones with multiple DEOS stations will be based on the highest measurement recorded by any of the DEOS stations within that particular snow zone.

Maps: ( Zone 09 & 10 | Zone 11 & 12 | Zone 06, 07 & 08 | Zone 01, 02, 03, 04 &; 05)

New Castle County
  • 09 - Middletown
  • 10 - Bear
  • 11 - Kiamensi
  • 12 - Talley
Kent County
  • 06 - Harrington
  • 07 - Viola
  • 08 - Dover
Sussex County
  • 01 - Laurel
  • 02 - Bridgeville
  • 03 - Ellendale
  • 04 - Georgetown
  • 05 - Selbyville
Q. How do I know whether a storm qualifies for reimbursement?
A: The posted measurement within your area must be at least four inches for a period of at least one hour. The measurements will be posted on this website.
Q. How do I request reimbursement?
A: A request for reimbursement form is included with the informational packet mailed to each registered association in early Fall. Complete and sign the request form, attach a copy of the snow contractor's bill along with a copy of the cleared check that paid the snow plow contractor and mail to the address indicated on the form. NOTE: The request form and the contractor's invoice must have a daily breakdown of service charges and material charges. Feeder roads must be predetermined by DelDOT. They must be invoiced separately and recorded separately on the reimbursement request form with a daily breakdown of service charges and material charges.
Q. How do I request reimbursement if I have an annual contract?
A: If you have an annual contract in which you paid an agreed upon annual amount up front, complete and sign the request form, attach a copy of the contract, and a copy of the cleared check that paid the snow plow contractor and mail to the address indicated on the form. You will automatically receive the maximum reimbursement allowed for each qualifying event in your area until 75% of the amount paid to the contractor has been reached.
Q. When can I expect payment?
A: Knowing the financial restrictions placed on Home Owners Associations and Civic Associations during active snow seasons, DelDOT has, in the past, issued checks between 7 and 10 days. However, please be aware that statewide storms impact a larger number of associations and may slow the processing of documents. The State of Delaware requires that payment be made within 30 days of receiving all required documentation.
Q. Will I receive an Informational Letter?
A: Yes, informational packets will be mailed in early fall to associations registered in the Snow Reimbursement Program.
Q. Why are state roads plowed when there are less than 4 inches?
A: Although DelDOT does not reimburse snow falls of less than 4 inches in suburban developments, the state road system is maintained at much lower snow accumulation because of the highway safety factor. The state road system has considerable higher traffic levels and speeds in excess of those in suburban developments, so we plow and treat the roads whenever there is a threat of snow in order to reduce accidents and the loss of life and property.

 ADA Information