"Executive Order #54 re-established the Advisory Council on Walkability and Pedestrian Awareness (Pedestrian Council). Signed by Governor Markell on October 12, 2015, it replaces Governor Minner's Executive Order #83 dated March 9, 2006. The Pedestrian Council shall consist of no less than 18 members and its purpose is to assist DelDOT with re-evaluation, implementation, and recommendations regarding the Statewide Pedestrian Action Plan and prioritization of pedestrian infrastructure improvements. The Council has 6 specific goals as outlined in Executive Order #54:
- Identify gaps in the system of pedestrian paths and sidewalks to create continuous, interconnected pathways
- Provide advice regarding design standards for crosswalks, sidewalks, and pathways ensuring ADA compliance
- Provide advice regarding implementation of DelDOT's Sidewalk and Multi-Use Path Maintenance Policy
- Review traffic rules to help support a safe pedestrian environment
- Provide advice regarding accessibility and connectivity to make transit a more viable option for DE citizens
- Develop strategies for pedestrian safety, education, and awareness"
NOTE: The Pedestrian Council meets on the fourth Tuesday of January, April, July and October from 10:00 am to approximately 12:00 pm at the DelDOT Building, 800 S. Bay Road, Dover, DE 19901. Any changes will be published in advance.